How to make a good exam video:
In order for us to give you the best advice it is important we get the best quality video possible.
You will need a reasonably good camera/ phone, and at least 2 people, one to show the horse and one make the video.
Please include at least the following steps when making your video:
- Halt the horse squarely in front of the camera on a level surface. Walk 360 degrees around the horse making sure to pause briefly directly behind and directly in front of the horse. We would like to see the horses entire body at all times during this video.
- On a level firm surface walk the horse directly 20 meters away from the camera. Turn carefully and walk. Once again make sure the entire body is visible.
- Repeat the above step in trot. Do not hold the horse back too much and aim for a shallow loop in the lead rope.
- Carefully lunge the horse on a 6-7 meter circle, again on a firm surface
- Film 3 circles on the right rein in uninterrupted trot
- Film 3 circles on the left rein of uninterrupted trot
- Carefully lunge the horse on a 12 meter circle, this time of a soft surface such as a menage
- 3 circles uninterrupted trot on both the left and right reins
- 3 circles uninterrupted canter on both the left and right reins
If there are any areas of the horse you think may be relevant (eg swelling of a lower limb) please make a 360 degree video of the affected area.
NB: If the horse is significantly lame or sore certain elements of the examination may be omitted. If this is the case please contact us prior to making the video for specific instructions.